Chocolate Olive Oil Cake
Want something very rich and chocolatey? You have come to the right place! This cake delivers in so many ways and the actual cake itself is vegan, so it’s perfect for all those in your life that are vegan. For me it’s my mother in law, so I’m always looking out for recipes that she might be interested in or ones I may want to make for her when she visits. It’s not often that I get to cook for her but still once you have someone vegan in your life, vegan recipes always seem to catch your eye. This is also a vegan recipe that doesn’t require flax eggs or any such substitutions. It’s a basic pantry ingredient recipe that you can literally make in one bowl.
The frosting or icing whatever you would like to call it is not vegan though. I adapted the recipe from smittenkitchen and Deb uses a glaze for the topping but I wanted something a little lighter and frothy so I did a mascarpone one that is pretty perfect for this cake. Think McCain deep and delicious cake. The cake is moist with a nice crumble and very rich and decadent tasting. The chocolate is intense and made richer with the addition of coffee which I opted to add in mine instead of water as the original recipe called for. For a vegan glaze just simply make one as she does with cocoa powder, olive oil and sweetener of choice – like maple syrup.
I love olive oil cakes and this one did not disappoint. I’m always impressed by their texture and love how rich they are. This one is just that and more. What made it a home run for me was the ease, and also the simple ingredients involved. Quick and easy cake that will be one of many staple recipes I use and pull out. I’m sure you will enjoy it!
Chocolate Olive Oil Cake
- 1½ cups of all purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened good quality cocoa powder
- 1½ tsps baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1½ cups coffee or water (I always use coffee)
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar or white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F and grease line and grease again and lightly dust with a little cocoa powder a 8-9 inch round cake pan
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cocoa, salt and just the granulated sugar. Then add the brown sugar and olive oil and whisk well to combine. Add the coffee and vinegar and whisk until smooth
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is springy and a tester comes out mostly clean. A few sticky crumbs is ok.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan on a wire rack for ten minutes then loosen edges with a knife and flip it out onto a cooling rack to cool the rest of they way
* If not frosting it the same day I wrap the cake in plastic wrap and store in the fridge until ready to frost
Chocolate Mascarpone Icing
- 1 tub of mascarpone approx 8 ounces
- 2 tbsp Butter softened
- 1 cup Icing sugar
- 2 tbsp Coffee or milk
- 3 tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl with a mixer cream the butter and mascarpone and gradually add the cocoa powder and rest of ingredients until creamy and smooth adding a little more coffee or milk if needed
Cake adapted from Smittenkitchen
Frosting adapted from Sprouted Kitchen
![Chocolate Olive Oil Cake](/images/uploads/2017_11_10_chocolate_olive_oil_cake_5.jpg)