Mini Scallion Pancake Blinis
Pancakes are always a hit for breakfast. These mini scallion ones are the perfect savory ones to enjoy for brunch. They are so fluffy and so good with a dollop of sour cream or cream cheese and smoked salmon with all the fixings. It’s such an easy brunch platter to prepare and even easier considering I used a pancake mix to make these mini pancakes or blinis.
I’m all about from scratch when it comes to pancakes but when it comes to gluten free ones (banana or oat pancakes excluded) I’m all for premixed blends. I have partnered up with Bob’s Red Mill to showcase their Gluten Free Pancake Mix in some fun ways. A sweet way I used it is coming up next but this savoury version is a fun one for brunch or even dinner if you’re the breakfast for dinner kind of folks like we are. The mix is made from whole grain stone ground sorghum brown rice flour. The texture of the pancakes is great - perfectly light and fluffy not always what you get with some Gluten free blends. That is not the case here - another great Gluten free blend from Bob’s. Bobʼs Red Mill has all the products you need for your breakfast needs while catering to those in your family who have specific food allergies. Now let’s talk blinis…
What are Blinis?
They are Russian Pancakes. They are traditionally made from a blend of buckwheat and all purpose flour; served with either sweet or savory fillings and toppings. They are usually round but the size can vary. Many times they are made a little larger and thinner like crepes and rollled with whatever filling you serve them with. They can also be made into mini pancakes - a little thicker than crepes and instead of being filled they are topped with any topping you chose. This is how I made them and I added a little extra flavour to them by adding some chopped scallions in them. A great way to add some extra flavour to the actual batter and overall blini brunch experience.
The Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Pancake Mix is so versatile to use with either sweet or savoury options. We enjoyed these for a late breakfast and my hubby saved some of them for lunch the next day - they reheat well in the toaster. These little guys would be perfect with any of your favorite pancake mix - even your own homemade blend but if you are looking for a gluten free blend then Bob’s is where it’s at. There’s lots of ways to be creative with your pancakes and this is a great way to enjoy them. Happy brunching friends!
I have partnered up with Bob’s Red Mill to bring you this fabulous recipe, but all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting Olive & Mango.
Servings: Makes 15 Blini
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
- 1 cup of your favourite pancake mix (I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Pancake Mix
- Pinch of salt
- 1-2 tbsps of sliced scallions/chives
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- ½ pound smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup creme fraiche, sour cream or cream cheese
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the pancake mix with the salt and the scallions
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the eggs, milk and butter and then pour the mixture into the dry ingredients until combined, a few lumps in the batter are totally fine.
- Drop batter in tablespoons onto hot greased skillet. Cook 1 to 2 minutes until bubbles begin to form on surface. Flip, then cook about 1 minute more or until golden brown. Transfer to plate. Repeat with remaining batter.
- To serve, top the blini with a piece of smoked salmon. Add a dollop of creme fraiche, sour cream, or cream cheese.
- Garnish with: thinly sliced red onion, fresh dill, capers and anything else you would like to include.