Brown Butter Garlic Maple Roasted Carrots
These maple garlic brown butter roasted carrots are truly the tastiest side dish to add to your dinner table. This recipe uses a classic French technique for creating very flavourful carrots. Brown butter (called beurre noisette in French) imparts an incredible toasted, nutty flavor to any recipe including this one. The carrots are tender, a little sweet, a little savory, and with that brown butter - a toasted flavour that’s out of this world. A very simple way to transform carrots into an irresistible side.
Oven roasted carrots are incredibly delicious with just a little garlic herbs and olive oil, but these Brown Butter Maple Garlic Roasted Carrots take them to a whole new level! Buttery, tender carrots roasted with a simple to make make maple garlic butter sauce. Since I promised to up my side dish game, I couldn’t resist sharing this roasted carrot recipe with maple syrup and brown butter.
This is an old recipe that I revisited from a few years ago (hard to believe this little blog has been around that long). I liked it but I simplified it a bit and here is the revamped one with new photos and a how to video. The old recipe included a few more spices and seasonings that I thought were unnecessary when I retested it. Simple is better - that way the carrots remain the star of the show but they are amped up by the maple brown butter. They are great for any occasion, easy and quick to make and even the picky eater in your life will enjoy them.
- 2 pounds carrots scrubbed clean or peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- ½ cup butter (1 stick of butter)
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp fresh thyme plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a medium saucepan add the butter and cook over medium-high heat whisking until the butter starts to become frothy and nutty smelling and golden brown. This will take approx 3-5 minutes. Then add the maple syrup, thyme and garlic and remove from heat.
- Place carrots in a large bowl and carefully drizzle the brown butter maple sauce on top. Toss until coated and spread evenly on a large baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with foil and roast for 10 minutes then remove foil and continue roasting another 10-15 minutes or until carrots are tender. Transfer to a serving dish or platter and garnish with some fresh thyme. Serve immediately.
If you want your carrots to have more golden crisp edges - continue to roast until they are cooked to your liking. Or you can broil them for a couple of minutes while keeping a close eye on them so that they don’t burn.