Buttery Dilled Red Potatoes and Peas
BBQ season is in full swing in Canada. We’ve only been here a few days and we can already smell everyone’s grills working overtime! This is the perfect side not only for all the barbecues but picnics as well that you will be having during the warm weather months. It’s a wonderfully easy side to make and is so buttery, lemony and fabulous with the fresh dill. They can be served warm or cold if you prefer which makes them especially perfect for picnics.
First let’s get back to me being in Canada. I’ve been talking a lot about going and being back home through Instagram and many of you have been wondering why I am back. Without getting into too many details, there are many different factors that played into our decision but one of the main factors was to be with and help my parents out a bit. As hard as it was so leave Trinidad we know it was time and for a good reason. It’s more of a see you soon rather than a goodbye to Trinidad though, as we will be back and forth, have family there and many friends and we will definitely be back to do more food styling and photography workshops. My connection to Trinidad is still quite strong and I have a few things in the works for the place I called home for almost 6 years.
So that’s a little bit about where I’m at right now. I’m just trying to set things up to move forward with the blog. I am going to continue working as a dental hygienist for some part but I really want to focus my energies on doing the best that I can to build up the blog and polish it up as much as I can as I have more time to spend on it.
Now that that’s out of the way, back to these delicious potatoes. Don’t skimp on the butter! They are creamy and dreamy with it and if you want extra lemon go for it. I served them with an extra wedge of lemon on the side for that extra squeeze of lemon and lift. This is definitely a potato salad for the books and should be added to your summer potato salad rotation. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs red Potatoes washed and sliced in half so that they are bite sized
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 4 tbsp of butter
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- ¼ cup dill chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Juice of half of a lemon
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toasted pine nuts to garnish
- Place potatoes in a medium size pot and fill with water covering potatoes and a few inches above them. Bring them to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook for about 7-8 minutes or until fork tender. Alternatively steam potatoes until they are fork tender.
- Add peas to potatoes and cook or steam for 1 minute more or until they turn bright green. Drain peas and potatoes carefully without crushing peas.
- Whisk together the lemon juice and olive in a small bowl and set aside.
- Melt butter in same pot that you boiled the potatoes in (or a medium sized pot if you steamed them) and add potatoes and peas back to pot.
- Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with dill, and lemon zest.
- Drizzle over the lemony dressing and toss gently to combine and serve immediately with a sprinkle of toasted pine nuts.
Adapated from Buzzfeed