Nutrient Dense Mediterranean Bowl
This is one of my go to bowls when it comes to meal prep. It’s pretty simple and full of flavour! The chicken is absolutely delicious and can be repurposed with other sides as well if you’re meal prepping. Everything can be grilled and cooked in 30 minutes which makes it great as a midweek meal. All it takes is a bit of planning and remembering to marinate your chicken earlier in the day or the night before. Everything else comes together pretty quickly. I even like to make my yoghurt sauce and dressing for the veggies the night before because I like to make things a bit easier for myself but that is not necessary.
I’m actually very excited to share this bowl with you guys. I have 3 more in store and will be sharing them soon. All four are protein and nutrient dense for those of you conscious of your diet, they are also super flavourful and I promise will include more than chicken breast. I’m joining forces with my friends at the Training Pad — a fitness studio in my old stomping ground (Toronto). They are dedicated to helping people get into peek shape using not only fitness but also diet. They have great fitness tips on their IG (@trainingpad) account and lots of good food choices and inspo. Hope you follow us along to see what we have in store for you guys.
These types of meals really fuel our bodies to take on the day
I know I may post a lot of treats and some decadent foods and desserts, but that is not how I eat everyday. My everyday meals look more like this bowl, including lots of oats, protein smoothies, and tons of greens. The other stuff is 15-20 percent of my diet or less some weeks. It’s important to make good food choices but also to maintain a balance. These types of meals really fuel our bodies to take on the day and to stay satiated longer and they also taste darn good! Definitely stay tuned for the next three coming each Sunday for the rest of the August.
Here are the links to the other bowls:
![Mediterranean Protein Bowl](/images/uploads/2017_08_05_mediterranean_bowl_3.jpg)
- 2-3 tbsp EV olive oil
- ¼ cup parsley chopped finely
- 3 tbsp dill chopped finely
- 2 sprigs of chive(green onion)
- 1 large white onion
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2-3 cups of spinach chopped (or i also use about halve a bag of frozen)
- 1½ cups of brown rice
- 3 cups broth(or water if you don’t have broth on hand)
- Juice from 1 lemon (optional)
- Place a pot over Med-high heat
- Add olive oil, the chopped onion and also the garlic.
- As soon as the onion caramelizes, add the rice.
- Stir and sauté the rice until it turns golden
- Add in all your herbs, S&P, and spinach and give it a good stir (do this for a few min if using frozen spinach to allow it to start to break down)
- Then, add the water/broth
- Lower heat to medium once it’s starts to boil and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring every few minutes so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot. (Feel free to add a little extra broth or water if it needs to cook further)
- Taste and check if it needs more S&P
- Add the lemon juice at this point and taste as you add according to your preference of using
![Mediterranean Protein Bowl](/images/uploads/2017_08_05_mediterranean_bowl_4.jpg)
Greek style grilled chicken
- 4-6 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp of oregano
- 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp of paprika (optional but I like the hint of heat it gives)
- 3 cloves of garlic grated
- 1 small red onion chopped finely or grated
- In a large bowl toss the chicken breast with all the ingredients and cover and marinate for at least one hour or overnight for best results.
- Heat the grill to medium-high and grease it before putting on the chicken breasts
- Place the chicken breasts on the grill and let them grill untouched for 5-8 minutes, flip them and let them grill for another 5-8 minutes or until fully cooked (cooking time may be a little longer depending on how thick and large the pieces of chicken are)
- Remove from grill when they are done and sprinkle with a little extra salt and tent them with foil for a few minutes letting them rest.
• if you don’t have a grill that is fine just pan fry chicken until golden brown and cooked though.
Grilled assorted vegetables with a simple balsamic dressing
- 1 small eggplant sliced in ½ inch slices
- 6-8 pimento peppers of baby peppers in assorted colours left whole or 2 bell pepper seeded and sliced Into thick sliced
- 1-2 tbsp of olive oil plus 1 extra tbsp
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
Toss veggies in a bowl with 1 tbsp olive oil
In a separate small bowl whisk the the rest of the olive oil and rest of the ingredients and set aside
While you are grilling your meat on one side of the grill free up space on the opposite side to grill the veggies for a few minutes per side until lightly charred watching them carefully because they cook quickly
Remove from grill when done and drizzle with dressing and serve
• if you don’t have a grill feel free to either sauté veggies in a pan or roast in the oven at 425 degrees F on a baking sheet until edges of veggies start to brown. Approx 15-20 minutes flipping once.
Garlic and herb Yoghurt sauce
- 1 cup of Greek yoghurt
- Juice of half a lemon or a couple tbsp of red wine vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic grated
- 1 tbsp of fresh dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl whisk together all ingredients and then refrigerate until you’re ready to use it.
![Mediterranean Protein Bowl](/images/uploads/2017_08_05_mediterranean_bowl_6.jpg)