One Pan Creamy Gnocchi With Shrimp and Spinach
I’m always craving comfort food and this is a dish that just screams comfort. Our Spring in Canada, or at least in our area, has felt more like Fall. It’s been cool straight through with a couple of hopeful warm days and so I’m still turning on the oven and still roasting things including delicious quick and easy meals like this one that are perfect for a quick midweek family dinner or date night.
I was so happy to partner up with Metro again to shed some light on the newest service they are providing for customers. Metro now offers a fresh, fast and personal online shopping experience to its customers in the greater Toronto-Hamilton area and I’m very excited about it. I have a Metro right near me and I swear I spend half my day there on shoot days. Even though I have lists upon lists of things that I need, I always end up back there. I’m there so often that they know me. You all know what I mean - you have your list that you have either scribbled on a sheet of paper or on your phone but when you get back home and check your recipe again you realize you forgot the butter or something else. This is a service I will absolutely be utilizing. It will save me so much time and I can shop while I plan out my recipes and shoots in advance and have everything I need because I can order while sitting with my recipes checking everything off as I order it. No distractions (are we out of milk, oh look this is on sale) - I can get online get exactly what I need and click checkout!
Metro is a trusted source of fresh produce. When I’m shooting recipes I need the freshest produce so that my ingredients look their best when I’m shooting them and Metro is where I go to get them. I had no problem trusting I would get fresh produce delivered by them because of this. They are committed to “Freshness Delivered to your Door”, as their products are hand-selected by specially-trained employees so that customers feel as though they’ve selected the items themselves. To ensure that freshness is maintained from the moment the products leave the store to the moment it arrives, Metro’s exclusive Tri-Zone delivery trucks have been implemented for delivery. While in-transit, products are kept in designated, temperature- controlled areas (ambient, refrigerated and frozen zones) to optimize preservation and guarantee freshness for customers. You can choose between grocery pick-up or delivery as it pertains to your schedule and lifestyle. There is a delivery service fee is $11.99 plus HST but no extra fees for same day delivery. Same-day delivery is offered for those customers who place their order before 1:00 PM and next day for orders received before midnight. Any flyer deals or store promotions are totally applicable online as well.
So is this a service you would use? That is totally up to you. I know that 12 dollar fee is one I’m willing to swallow because the hour out of the day or more that gets eaten up at the store is an hour or more I could be shooting. Time is money. You really have to see if it’s worth it for you but say you want to pass on delivery, think of the time saved by ordering online and picking up. A busy parent can place their order on their lunch break and pick up on the way home, meaning less time out and more time to be home with family. Or for a busy single person it means more time at the gym or for meal prep before a busy week. It all comes down to your lifestyle. For me it’s a life saver and am super thankful that grocery stores like Metro are moving in this direction.
All the ingredients in this dish were purchased via Metro’s Online Grocery service. I chose this dish because I knew you would love it, but also because it also tested the service. This recipe calls for milk and butter and even frozen shrimp. It also calls for fresh spinach and herbs along with some staple pantry ingredients. It’s a well rounded recipe showcasing ingredients from almost all departments. I was happy with the selected produce and the shrimp was completely frozen when it arrived and the milk and butter were colder than they are when I bring them home from a trip to the grocery store. The herbs and spinach were fresh and fabulous, and I wouldn’t expect it to be any other way because it’s Metro! We loved this one pan meal and know you will too. Enjoy!
I have partnered up with Metro Ontario to bring you this fabulous recipe, but all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting Olive & Mango.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup white flour
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes optional
- 2 cups milk
- 1¼ cups chicken broth
- 16 ounce package of gnocchi
- 340 gram package of Irresistibles frozen uncooked Pacific white shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ cup parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- Fresh parsley, salt and pepper, and more Parmesan cheese to serve
- Preheat oven to 425 ° F.
- Place a large oven-safe skillet with olive oil in it on the stove over medium-high heat.
- Add in the mushrooms and chopped onion and stir until the onion is transparent and mushrooms lightly browned or about 5
- Add in the garlic, chili flakes if using and the shrimp and stir for another couple of minutes until the shrimp are pink and just about cooked through (don’t over cook them because they will continue to cook later in the sauce) Remove to a small bowl or plate and quickly wipe out the skillet.
- Place the butter in the skillet and melt. And then lower the heat juts slightly. Gradually whisk in the flour until smooth, and continue cooking, whisking constantly for about 1-2 minutes.
- Very gradually whisk in the milk and chicken broth until the mixture is smooth whisking constantly until the mixture has thickened (about 5 minutes). Then whisk in half of the cheese
- Stir in the gnocchi, cooked mushrooms, shrimp and onions mixture, and spinach. Stir until all is coated.
- Top with the rest of the Parmesan cheese and place in the oven.
- Bake on the top rack for approx 15 minutes until bubbling and thick. If you want a little colour on everything thing, turn on the broiler and then broil for another minute or two for a delicious crispy top.
- Remove from the heat, top with additional salt, pepper, chili flakes and some chopped fresh parsley if desired. Enjoy immediately.