Almond Butter Trail Mix Cookies
These cookies are always on repeat in our house. They make the most perfect snack and even a great grab and go brekkie. They are super easy to whip up, meaning they will be on repeat in your home as well. I have tried to keep these and some other variations of these on rotation at home as some in our home (names shall not be mentioned) love their cookies and like to have them for breakfast. It’s usually the sugar packed store bought ones meant to be eaten as a treat not in abundance or as a meal. I have been trying to replace those cookies with ones a little more nourishing and these proved to be the acceptable replacement according to him who’s name shall not be mentioned. We call that a win!
Let me tell you more about them. They are a health food cookie not your typical cookie so don’t be expecting the same sugar rush or crunchy texture. That is not to say that these cookies aren’t delicious but just so you’re not surprised when you make them. They are made with honey as the sweetener and just the right amount of it if you ask me. Not too sweet or cloyingly sweet (a word I just picked up from my friend Jennifer over at The Lemon Apron blog - and currently the word of the day) just the right amount.
The almond butter and eggs together are what hold these babies together and also what give these cookies their fluffy and soft texture with edges that are slightly crisp. After you pack them (if there are any leftover to pack) they lose a bit of their crispy edges and turn into chewier softer cookies.
They are perfect for dunking into something warm and also a wonderful snack to pack for a hike- something we will be doing this holiday weekend. They pack some protein in them with all the almond butter and nuts in them so they are also great for pre or post workouts. They are totally versatile meaning you can add any sort of trail mix you like and you can use any dried fruit you like too. Johann really dislikes raisins so I decided to do cranberries instead and you can also swap out the almond butter for any other nut or seed butter that you prefer.
Versatile, simple to make, wheat free, refined sugar free, soft, pillowy and chewy cookies that are loaded with all the good stuff - I call that a pretty decent cookie! We love them and hope you do too. Enjoy!
- 1½ cups of almond butter
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅓ cup of your fav trail mix blend (I used a blend of chopped almonds, cashews dried cranberries pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup of dark chocolate chopped into chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix together with a mixer the almond butter, honey, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, eggs and baking soda until nice and smooth
- Fold in the trail mix blend and chocolate.
- Use tbsp measurement scoop to scoop out a tablespoon of the batter onto the cookies sheet, leaving a little room between each. Flatten slightly and bake for 8-10 minutes or until just golden.
- Remove pan from oven and place on cooling rack to allow cookies to cool before devouring.