Apple Butter Spice Cake
This cake is truly that! Lovely scents of sweet apple and spice run through the whole kitchen as it bakes. We couldn’t wait to get it out of the oven. Did I mention how easy it is to make and how it uses the most simple and basic ingredients.
If you are stumped on the Apple butter thing you can sub the Apple butter with apple sauce. Same goes if you don’t have any apple butter or don’t have the time to make it. I strongly suggest you make the time to make the apple butter though. You will love it and can use it in so many things like this fabulous spice cake and even in some bourbon baked beans! It’s also great slathered on some toast with a sprinkle of cinnamon. So you see – totally worth it!!
So about this spice cake. It goes well with a nice big cup of tea and somehow instantly you get all the cozy feels which of course has a lot to do with all the delicious and warm spices in it. When I made it was 35 ° C out and the sun was blazing so we didn’t really need warm and cozy feels that day but we definitely enjoyed them! We actually had this cake on the beach in Tobago. It made for a great beach snack too! Who says you can’t have a taste of fall in the Caribbean?
It’s a super moist cake and the orange honey glaze is a fabulous one and really goes nice with all the spices. If you are looking for a simple fall flavour cake that you can whip up quick and with your basic pantry items than this is your cake!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp ginger
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup apple butter (recipe below – can sub with apple sauce but would be a little less sweet)
- ½ cup Greek yoghurt
- ½ cup butter at room temp
- ¾ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- ½ cup of chopped nuts of your choice to sprinkle on top (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 ° F and grease a loaf pan
In a bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients and set aside
In a a large bowl cream the butter and sugar then add the eggs one at a time and mix well. Then add ½ the yoghurt and mix well
Add half the dry ingredients to the wet and mix, then add the rest of the yoghurt and mix. Add the rest of the flour mixture and mix until just combined then fold in the apple butter until well incorporated.
Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 50 mins to an hour or until golden brown and tester comes out clean
Recipe for cake adapted from thekitchn
Orange Honey Glaze
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- ½ tsp of orange zest
- Whisk all ingredients together until smooth and pour over the cake and enjoy
Recipe adapted by bakefromsctatch
Homemade Apple butter
Yields approx 1 to 1½ cups of apple butter
- 2-2½ lbs apples (approx 8-10 small apples)
- ½ cup Apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup pure apple juice or cider
- ¾ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground clove
- Pinch of salt
- Wash and scrub apples well, core and slice apples and add them to a medium sized pan (peel and all) adding with them the Apple cider vinegar and also the apple juice. Bring to a boil and reduce to a low simmer, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid, stir the apples and continue to simmer them for another 20-30 minutes until the apples are very tender and have thickened from breaking down and then remove them from the heat and allow them to cool for a few minutes.
- Put the apples in a food processor (being very careful especially if they are still on the hot side) and process until smooth or use a potato masher and mash until they are smooth.
- Transfer the processed apples to a fine mesh sieve over a bowl and press the pulp through the sieve so that your left with a creamy smooth apple purée
- Put the purée back into the pot turn the heat back on to medium low and add the remaining ingredients. Cook stirring occasionally until the apple butter is a deep rich colour, the sugar has melted through and it’s nice and thick (won’t take longer than 5-10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes and transfer to a sealed container and it can last for up to a month refrigerated.
![Apple Butter Spice Cake](/images/uploads/2017_10_26_apple_butter_spice_cake_7.jpg)