Chocolate Buckwheat Loaded Granola
Who wants chocolate for breakfast? I do! This granola makes that happen – with no guilt attached! It’s what you want in a granola – lots of crunch and lots of flavour. This gives you a bit more than just that. You also get some super food added into it as well. The buckwheat packs protein as well as lots of additional fibre. The cocoa nibs and cocoa powder are fabulous for flavour but also give some extra crunch along with those groats and are chock full of antioxidants.
The coffee might be a bit controversial but it’s definitely optional especially if you’re feeding children. The coffee is very subtle but as usual makes the cocoa/chocolate flavours more vivid. I always add it. You can always use decaf if you want the flavour without the punch!
You can have these with a milk of your choice. I love it with almond milk – the milk gets all chocolatey and yummy too and will literally transport ya back to being a kid in the 80’s (late 80’s I should say) slurping chocolate milk out of the bottom of your cocoa puff cereal bowl. Come on you know ya did it!!
We also love them with yoghurt and I also love taking a stash of the them as a snack on their own – a great afternoon pick me up! This one is for all the chocolate lovers out there just like me – who crave chocolate 24 hours a day and literally can’t let a day pass without having it! This is a healthy and satisfying way of getting your fix. Calling it a fix seems so wrong but it’s so right and so accurate so I will leave it alone. Enjoy you guys and do snap a pic and tag me if you’re making it! Or leave me a quick comment below cause I always love getting your feedback. Tootles for now!
- 3 cups old fashion rolled oats
- 1 cup of buckwheat groats
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup chopped almonds or nuts of choice
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup cocoa nibs
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 1 pinch of salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup or honey or stevia
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- 1 shot of espresso or strong brewed coffee ( I used a cold brew concentrate but you can also alternatively use one small teaspoon of instant coffee or espresso powder also) – optional but a good choice but maybe not a great idea for children – unless you want them wired for eternity!!
- Preheat oven to 300 ° F
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients and stir until everything is well combined and well coated — add more sweetener of choice to taste and oil if mix is too dry
- Spread evenly and in a thin layer so that it can crisps up on either one extra large baking sheet or two medium sized ones and bake until golden brown and crisp — approx 30 minutes and check and shake pan around a little one or two times throughout baking time
- Remove and let stand to cool for 1-2 hours until completely cool and very crispy. You don’t want to store it in a container as soon as it’s out of the oven because it will get moist and mushy from the moisture created by heat
- Once completely cool – seal in airtight container. This doesn’t last longer than a week in our household so it should be fine for at least a week if not more if it lasts that long.
![Chocolate Buckwheat Loaded Granola](/images/uploads/2017_11_13_chocolate_buckwheat_granola_7.jpg)