Classic Zucchini Bread
This zucchini bread is my all time favourite. It’s no fuss, straightforward, all you need is bowl and spatula, basic pantry ingredients and totally adaptable if you want to add various flavours, flours, spices etc. It tastes like mom’s baking and is such a simple bread to whip up in no time and also a great way to use up extra zucchini.
I have tried many recipes for zucchini bread and they all claim to be the best - I actually seriously don’t understand that statement - especially when it comes to quick breads, cookies and other baked goods that I know everyone has different tastes in. So I’m not making that claim at all but it is my favourite recipe and it’s from Alexandracooks.com. Her recipe is so darn good. It’s the best in my books, meaning according to my taste when it comes to a quick bread, as I like a moist no-fuss bread that I can whip up easily and I know will come out the same every time. Consistently delicious. This is definitely one of those recipes. If we have the same taste in a quick bread than I know you will love it too!
All I did differently was add a little more spice and also I love my quick breads with nuts and chocolate in them, so I added walnuts and chocolate chunks. You can make your bread without these and it would be just fine - I just love that extra bit of texture those two add to a quick bread.
I’m pretty sure you have some zucchini laying around - probably a little too sad to make my Zucchini Salad but definitely good enough to make this zucchini bread. I just bought a few more fresh ones for a recipe I’m making tomorrow that I’m very excited about and I bought just enough for the recipe and a little extra to make another loaf. I can’t wait! If you get a chance make this zucchini bread - you won’t regret it!
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp new nutmeg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup coconut oil or any vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2½ cups grated zucchini
- ½ cup walnuts , finely chopped, plus more for topping the bread
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus more for topping the bread
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and grease your loaf pan or line with parchment paper for easy removal.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugars, vanilla and oil until well combined.
- Add zucchini to the flour mixture and toss to coat. Then add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until combined. Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips Pour into pan. Bake until toothpick comes out clean, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Allow to cool on cooling rack for 10 minutes before inverting it removing it from the loaf pan. Cool completely on the rack, then slice and enjoy.
Adapted from Alexandra Cooks