Double Chocolate Tahini Skillet Cookie
Skillet cookies are so fun to eat. It’s like eating a giant chewy cookie! This is a great little twist to a chocolate one. The addition of the tahini gives this giant cookie a richness and a bit of savoury flavour that we loved.
I originally saw this tahini skillet cookie recipe on the Fine Cooking site and had bookmarked it to try it eventually. I came across it when I was cleaning the my pantry shelf and discovered a huge unopened jar of tahini that I had forgotten about. I wanted to make something other than hummus with it and so I was looking for inspiration and I definitely found it in a few recipes, this one being one of them.
I’m glad I saved it because this was such a great recipe! It’s very simple to put together and it looks great with the tahini swirls in it too, and who doesn’t love chocolate! It doesn’t take a lot of time to bake up and is also perfect with ice cream!!
I also love skillet cookies because they are wonderful served family style. Load it up with a few scoops of ice cream, grab a few forks or spoons on your way to the table and serve it out of the skillet. They are perfect for sharing. I would recommend doing this with family only - dinner guest night now appreciate it this style of eating as much. It’s also perfect sliced and served in individual slices with ice cream too and even with a side of milk to dip your pieces in.
Tahini is absolutely delicious in this recipe. I am such a lover of tahini but if you are not you absolutely can substitute it with any other nut butter. It would be delicious with peanut butter and almond butter too!
I did go through that whole huge jar or tahini eventually, not with this recipe alone but with two others. One of them was these crispy chocolate tahini cups and one more which I will be sharing soon. In the meantime enjoy this double chocolate tahini skillet cookie which is definitely meant to be shared!
- ⅓ cup tahini
- 3 Tbs. confectioners’ sugar
- 3 oz. (6 Tbs.) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp of instant espresso powder (optional to intensify the cocoa flavour)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2-½ oz. chopped bittersweet chocolate (½ cup)
- 1 tbsp of sesame seeds
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat to 325°F.
- In a small bowl, whisk the tahini and confectioners’ sugar until combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter and the two sugars with a hand mixer or standing mixer, until smooth.
- Add the egg and vanilla, and mix until smooth.
- Add the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt, and mix to combine.
- Fold in the chocolate and 1 Tbs. of the sesame seeds.
- Transfer to a heavy-duty 8-inch ovenproof skillet, and smooth the top.
- Dollop the tahini mixture on top of the cookie dough, and swirl together with the tip of a knife or a skewer.
- Bake until the tahini no longer looks wet and the top cracks a bit, 35 to 38 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before serving.