Easy Egg Bites
Protein packed wholesome and delicious breakfast egg bites. They are light, fluffy and flavorful, and did I mention customizable - you know I love a good customizable recipe. They are so easy to make. They freeze really well and also reheat well!
These Easy Egg Bites have been an absolute hit with my hubby! In the morning, he pops them in the microwave and enjoys a couple with toast and hot sauce. That is why I try and make a batch for meal prep. I usually freeze half the batch and refrigerate the other half to eat through the week. It’s nice to switch things up from oats and smoothies and this is the perfect way to do that. They are portable and make a great grab and go breakfast.
I said they are customizable and I wasn’t kidding. You can add just about anything to these little guys. The ones below are the meatless ones I make all the time but I have a lot of a favorite combinations. There are some additions or substitutions to consider:
- Broccoli florets, cooked until crisp-tender
- Bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Diced kale
- Diced ham
- Shredded cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, crumbled feta (reduce salt accordingly as some cheeses are slather than others)
- Ground paprika, chili powder, taco seasoning for spices
- Corn, drained or thawed
- Cooked crumbled sausage
- Shredded cooked chicken
- Roasted red pepper, sliced
- Sun-dried tomatoes chopped
The list goes on and on - you can get creative and make up your own flavour combinations. Just remember to stay within the measurements listed below for the cheese and the veggies. When it comes to adding meat - I wood keep it to ½-¾ cup of it crumbled or shredded.
You will love how easy they are to make and what a great breakfast or snack option these are. Simple, tasty and everybody loves them. Making them in the blender makes them extra fluffy and golden brown as the cheese gets fully blended through the egg batter. That being said it’s not essential in making these - whisking everything by hand works beautifully too. Have fun making these and do tell me what your favourite combo of ingredients is.
Servings: Makes 12 egg bites
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 16-18 mins
Total time: 26-28 min
- 9 large eggs
- ½ cup shredded cheese (your choice)
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups chopped baby spinach
- ½ cup diced seeded red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives (plus more to serve)
- Cooking spray or butter for greasing muffin tin
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Combine the eggs, cheese, garlic powder, salt and black pepper in a high-powered blender. Blend on high until frothy, about 20-30 seconds. (You can also vigorously whisk the mixture in a large bowl if you do not have a blender)
- Evenly distribute the chopped spinach, chives and bell pepper bits among the muffin cups. Pour the egg mixture over the veggies, filling each cup about ¾ the way up the pan.
- Bake 16-18 minutes, until the eggs set up and are cooked through and edges are golden. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for about 5 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edge of each cup and pop out the egg bites. Serve warm.
How to store egg bites
Once cool store them in the freezer in an airtight container or freezer zip-lock plastic bag for up to 2 months. Reheat in the microwave for 30-60 seconds. Or they can be refrigerated for up to 1 week
How to reheat egg bites
The simplest way to reheat these egg bites is to microwave them for 30-60 seconds (depending on if they are frozen) when ready to eat. If you have a little extra time, you can also reheat for 2 minutes in a toaster oven