Greek Egg Salad
This Greek egg salad recipe is so easy to make with a delicious creamy texture full of fresh herbs and instead of a mayo based egg salad this Greek version is made with tzatziki - yes you read that right. It’s a wonderful way to make a flavourful light veggie loaded healthy egg salad recipe. Using the greek yogurt based tzatziki helps pack in more protein and fewer calories if you are counting (bonus yogurt is one of the best sources of calcium). This Greek egg salad combines aspects of a traditional greek salad with a creamy egg salad version, minus the celery although it does not lack crunch thanks to the crispy cucumber. Serve this egg Greek style egg salad over pita bread or stuffed into it - a Greek take on egg salad sandwiches.
The Best Egg Salads are made with simple ingredients and are so creamy delicious! This one is easy to put together with the best flavor and it makes the perfect sandwich too! I am loving all things light and tasty with simple ingredients especially as the weather warms up. Egg salad and tuna salad are just perfect for a quick lunch or if you are like me I could definitely have it for a light dinner too. This Greek version has loads of veggies in it and you can either use store-bought or homemade tzatziki to make this egg salad recipe. I have included a super quick and easy version of tzatztiki below for a small batch for this recipe or you can make a larger batch which I strongly recommend cause its so good and make my homemade version which takes a little extra planning because I think straining the yoghurt makes for the creamiest and richest kind of tzatziki.
How do you boil eggs?
There are so many different ways people boil eggs. This is the easy way I like to boil my eggs. Place eggs into a medium saucepan or large pot and fill with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let the eggs stand off the heat for 10-12 minutes for the perfect hard boiled eggs. Strain the hot water from pan and run cold water over them until the eggs are cool to the touch. Peel and enjoy. I find peeling them under running water makes it easier to peel them.
How do you make Greek Egg Salad Sandwich?
- Add the eggs to a saucepan and fill with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let the eggs stand for 10-12 minutes. Take the eggs out of the water and let cool.
- Peel and chop the eggs and add them to a medium sized bowl. Add the veggies and the tzatziki. Mix well. Serve with pita bread, over arugula or lettuce of choice or spread on bread or use with your favorite crackers.
How Long Does Egg Salad Sandwich last?
Properly stored, egg salad will last for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator. Can I make this egg salad ahead of time. Parts of it can definitely be made ahead. The eggs can be boiled ahead - the best way to store hard boiled eggs is unpeeled in a covered container in the refrigerator. They should be eaten within 5 days. Peeled eggs should be eaten within a day or two. The other part that can be made ahead is the tzaztiki. I would not recommend assembling the salad days in advance because the fresh veggies will start to get soggy and lose their fresh testier and flavour.
What other ideas for adding into the egg salad?
- Celery or carrots for texture
- Add some protein such as diced cooked shrimp or small, square chunks of chicken or ham
- Extra seasoning like paprika or other spices you might like to add
What can I substitute tzatziki with?
- Mayonnaise, dijon mustard (reduce mayo to ½ cup if using mayo instead of tzatziki in this recipe)
- Greek yoghurt
More Greek recipes you will love:
- 1 cup Tzatziki, homemade or store-bought
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 green onion sliced
- 2 cups arugula or any lettuce or greens you like
- Pita bread or naan
- Extra feta cheese
- Lemon slices
- Fresh chopped dill or parsley
- Extra Sliced green onion
For a quick Tzatziki sauce or dressing:
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 tbsp finely minced fresh dill
- ¼ cup chopped or grated cucumber
- 1 small clove of garlic peeled and grated
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the tzatziki: comibe all ingredients in a medium Bowl and set aside.
- For the hard boiled eggs: Add the eggs to a medium saucepan or large pot and fill with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let the eggs stand off the heat for 10-12 minutes. Strain the hot water from pan and run cold water over them until the eggs are cool to the touch.
- Prepare and chop all the veggies in the meantime
- For assembling: Peel and chop the eggs and add them to a medium sized bowl then add the tzatziki the tomatoes, cucumber, crumbled feta cheese and kalamata olives, and season with black pepper. fold or mix everything together
- For Serving: Serve over arugula with pita bread or naan bread, spread on bread or with your favourite crackers.