Greek Roasted Lemon Potatoes (lemonates patates)
Perfect morsels of crispy edged potatoes with a slight tang from the lemon which is balanced out by the richness of the olive oil. They are buttery and delicious and turn out perfect everytime. Only my favourite potatoes out there! These ones are my mom’s style and in fact her recipe. When I make them my husband always says he’s transported to Dina’s (mom’s) dinner table and I totally agree. If you have been to a Greek restaurant you may have had them there too. You don’t have to wait to eat them at a Greek restaurant any more. You can make them for yourself!!
How to make a perfect Greek potato
Some people like these on the mushy side and others like them very crispy. I am kind of in between with a slight leaning towards the crispy side. But you really can have them any way. They are a perfect side for any meat especially roasted, rotisserie chicken or our Greek style lamb. But I also have them as a vegetarian meal just on their own. I will sprinkle them with some feta and broil them a bit in the oven to melt the cheese. Add a salad and your done. Perfection!! They also hit all my favourite flavour points; lemon, oregano and olive oil so they are a definite staple in my house.
The best part about these is that they are super easy to make and are pretty low maintenance when they get into the oven. It’s a no fail recipe too. They turn out the same great way every time you make them. They are great for a dinner party not only because they could feed many but they are also a hit with everyone. I usually give my potatoes an extra hit of lemon juice after they come out of the oven but thats because I love lemony potatoes so that is optional. The recipe itself has more than enough lemon juice in it, without being too over powering. Well at least I think so. So if your looking for a different and delicious way of making roasted potatoes these should be calling to you, “Try me try me!” And when you make them and love them just as much as I do; remember to thank Dina!!
- 5 lbs of potatoes washed, peeled cut in half lengthwise and then sliced into wedges
- 1 cup of water or chicken broth (could also use a bouillon cube if you prefer)
- ⅓ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup of lemon juice (approx juice from two lemons)
- 1 tbsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or 3-4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 tsp onion powder (optional)
- 1 tsp of sea salt (add more according to taste)
- 1-2 tbsp of butter cut into small pieces (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Place sliced potatoes in a large baking pan
- Add the rest of the ingredients to them and toss to coat well. Adjust seasoning (salt, oregano, garlic powder) to taste
- Cover tightly with foil and roast for 25 minutes
- Uncover toss and lower heat to 375°F, sprinkle the butter over the potatoes if using and roast for another 30 minutes or until cooked through and golden.
- If you would like them a little more golden crispy add the butter to them and put them under the broiler for a few minutes keeping a close eye on them so they don’t burn. (The butter is optional but I find it gives them a beautiful golden colour and of course some extra creaminess). Serve with an extra squeeze of lemon juice and toss with fresh herbs if you want them lemony and herby