Herb Roasted Chicken With Spring Veggies
These tender chicken thighs are roasted to perfection with lemons and herbs and tossed with spring veggies. A very simple meal that gets thrown together in no time. No fuss and so delicious. Easy enough for a midweek meal but just as good for Sunday lunch.
I generally choose thighs for this roasted chicken recipe and most of my recipes but this recipe can easily be made with legs or breasts. All you have to do is increase the cooking time accordingly. The larger the pieces the longer they will need to roast. I’m a dark meat kind of girl and love how tender chicken thighs roast up and how quickly they cook too. These ones are seasoned with fresh or dried rosemary and thyme and lemon zest. They roast with shallots and lemon slices adding flavour to the chicken itself and also the pan juices. Those pan juices are just too good.
I adapted this recipe from BBCgoodfood and loved it. I used different seasoning then the recipe called for and you can too. If you prefer a different herb blend feel free to make it your own and switch it up. I love rosemary and thyme together and once the chicken has roasted I toss in the mint at the end. I love the freshness that mint adds to any dish and its great tossed in after instead of before as a garnish and also to add a more intense minty flavour to the dish before serving. The feta gets tossed in just before serving as well and it adds a nice salty creamy briny flavour to the dish. I definitely add more then the ½ cup listed in the recipe and you can too or if you aren’t a fan of the feta feel free to leave it out.
Let’s talk about the veggies. Yes I know - blanched veggies tossed into your roast? Trust me it works and the veggies keep more of their vibrancy intact. Roasting them with the chicken would work but they would definitely overcook. If you prefer them roasted I recommend tossing them with a little olive oil and roasting them separately in another pan 10-15 minutes before the chicken is done. You can also steam them instead of boiling them or you can even pan fry them in a bit of olive oil for a few minutes before tossing them in with the chicken. You can also toss them into the pan with the chicken 10-15 minutes before it’s down cooking if you would like to as well. Either method works.
What can I pair this herb roasted chicken and veggies with?
We enjoyed this delicious herb roasted chicken with a kale quinoa mix - yup more greens but this can also easily be a full meal with a salad or just some crusty bread. I also recommend it with rice or roasted potatoes too. It’s one of those meals that carries over from spring to summer with it fresh lemony and herby flavours. We love it and hope you do too!
- 8 chicken thighs skin on bone in
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon zested then sliced or cut into wedges
- 4 shallots peeled and chopped coarsely
- 4 rosemary sprigs stem removed and chopped
- 2 tsp of fresh thyme leaves or dried
- 1 lb of asparagus spears trimmed and chopped
- 2 zucchini trimmed and sliced in half lengthwise and then chopped
- 1¼ cup of peas fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup of fresh mint torn
- ½ cup of crumbled feta
- Heat oven to 400°F. Put the chicken thighs in a large shallow roasting pan, season with salt and pepper and toss with the olive oil, lemon zest and slices/wedges, shallots, rosemary and thyme. Arrange the chicken thighs, skin-side up, and roast for 40-50 mins until the skin is crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to the boil and blanch the asparagus for 2-3 mins, adding the zucchini and peas for the final minute. (You can also pan fry them in a bit of olive oil if you prefer them done that way. See blog post for further options)
- Drain the vegetables and toss in with the chicken, toss in the mint as well coating everything well with the cooking juices. Crumble over the feta and serve.