Nutella S'mores Bars
Updated 10 July 2023
These soft ooey gooey loaded smores bars are the official dessert of summer and they never looked or tasted better than this Nutella twist. They are packed with flavor! S’mores treats are one of my favorite treats year-round but they are especially popular in the summer time. I decided to recreate that classic treat by turning it into a smores blondie/ smores brownie or bar, and let me tell you, it did not disappoint. These are so simple to make and unlike other s’mores bars - these are not made or baked layer by layer or with a buttery graham cracker crust but more of a blondie or bar base. That means they are a lot quicker to bake which ultimately means they hit your lips a lot faster too! I love the texture that that little bit of graham cracker crumb and crackers give these bars and I love how gooey they are from the Nutella, fluff and little puddles of chocolate. The crumbled graham cracker cookies over top add the perfect bit of crunch so they are almost like s’ mores cookie bars. These are just the best - and I hope you guys get a chance to try them - campfire not required!
Smores Bars Recipe Ingredients
- Flour: All purpose flour is what this recipe calls for but a good gluten free 1-1 all purpose flour will work too but the texture will be slightly different
- Sugar: I like to use a blend of brown sugar and granulated for texture and flavour
- Butter: Unsalted is what I use
- Baking Powder & Salt: For leavening and flavour
- Eggs: For structure and I recommend that they are room temperature
- Chocolate Chips: I like to use semi sweet chocolate chips or morsels but feel free to use dark chocolate or milk chocolate and if you prefer to chop your own chocolate bars for the morsels that is fine too. These bars are on the sweeter side so I usually recommend semi sweet or dark chocolate
- Nutella: Or any brand of hazelnut spread - this is an optional add in as there’s no Nutella in smores but for a gooey add in and if you are a lover of Nutella like I am I insist on it - of course you can even do a peanut butter version or and almond butter version too
- Fluff/Marshmallow Creme: How do you guys feel about Fluff? I’m totally fine with using it as it’s pretty much the same as using store bought marshmallows. But if I had the time and wanted to make it myself my go to recipe for fluff is here. If you prefer to use marshmallows feel free to do so simply use mini marshmallows and sprinkle them over with the crackers and chocolate chips.
- Graham Cracker Crumbs & Crackers: The crumbs for the graham cracker cookie dough or bar mixture plus the crackers for topping and for some lovely crunch
How To Make These Easy Smores Bars
These bars are quite easy to make and require very few steps and instructions (full detailed instructions in recipe card below). No Need to pull out the mixer for these bars - just a simple bowl/or sauce pan, whisk and spatula - another great reason to make these smores bars!
- WHISK together the dry ingredients: flour baking, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt
- MELT butter, then whisk in the sugars, followed by the vanilla and eggs
- FOLD in the dry ingredients until just combined then fold in the chocolate chips
- SPREAD ¾ of the batter evenly in prepared pan
- DOLLOP Nutella over batter followed by the fluff and the remaining batter swirling it all together
- SPRINKLE over the remaining chocolate chips and crumbled graham crackers
- BAKE until edges are golden and and middle is set or mostly set, allow to cool, slice and enjoy
Smores Bars Storage & Freezing
- STORAGE: Store at room temperature for 3 days, or refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- FREEZING: These bars can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving OR reheat in the microwave.
More Tasty Treats You Are Going To Love
- Brown Butter Earl Grey Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Chocolate Hazelnut Espresso Brownies
- No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- Chocolate Chip and Pecan Almond Butter Blondies
- Nutella Cupcakes
- Brown Butter Nutella Banana Bread
- Banana Hazelnut Cake With Nutella Frosting
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1stick) unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg, at room temperature
- ½ cup plus 4 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips/morsels
- ⅓ cup Nutella or any brand chocolate-hazelnut spread
- ¾ cup marshmallow crème such as Fluff
- 1 cup broken graham cracker pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan / baking dish with nonstick spray or line with parchment paper for easy removal of bars (I used a square pan with removable bottom)
- Whisk the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl to combine and set aside.
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat or in a large bowl in the microwave. Once melted remove from heat and whisk in sugars. Whisk in the vanilla and then the eggs, blending and whisking eggs vigorously until well combined.
- Stir in the flour mixture into the butter mixture, mixing just until blended. Fold in ½ cup semisweet chocolate morsels.
- Spread about ¾ of the batter or remaining cookie dough into the prepared pan in and even layer.
- Dollop the Nutella evenly over the batter and gently spread it so that every bar (once cut) has a portion.
- Dollop the marshmallow crème evenly over all, then spoon or drizzle over rest of the batter into pan.
- Using an offset spatula or knife gently swirl the Nutella and fluff into the batter.
- Scatter the remaining 4 tablespoons of semisweet morsels over and the graham cracker pieces all over batter
- Bake for 25-30 minutes for just under-done bars (fudgier texture) or until the centre of the brownies no longer jiggles and is JUST set to the touch. OR 35-40 minutes if you like your bars well set and firm. Bars will continue baking and set in the hot pan out of the oven. If testing with a toothpick, the toothpick should come out with some batter bits for fudgey-textured brownies.
- Cool in the pan set on a wire rack on the counter. Allow to cool completely. Cut into 16 bars (4 x 4). Store at room temperature for up to 3 days in an airtight container or wrapped in foil and stored in single layers separated by parchment paper. But I prefer them chilled in the fridge in and airtight container.
- Can I Double This Recipe? Yes, you can double the recipe and bake the bars in a 9×13-inch pan. But because they will likely require longer baking time they may be less gooey
- Store at room temperature for 3 days, or refrigerator for up to 5 days. These bars can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving OR reheat in the microwave.
- Using a metal baking pan will yield higher fluffier bars - a glass or ceramic dish will yield thinner or flatter bars.