Watermelon Feta Salad
This refreshing, delicious watermelon feta salad recipe is meant for hot summer days. With feta, cucumber mint & lemon, it’s the perfect mix of savory & sweet. I love watermelon salads - they are light and healthy, while still being satisfying. With a few simple chops and a quick toss, watermelon salads are quick and easy to make. Thanks to their vibrant colors and deliciously fresh flavors, they look and taste just like summer.
There is nothing like slicing through a good watermelon - you know what I mean. Perfectly crisp, bright red, and oh so sweet with no mealy spongy parts. As soon as I spot a good one I know that part of it will go into this salad and the other part/half enjoyed as is. Summer fruits are the best In my opinion and I always look forward to enjoying them as they are but also in salads, pies, galettes and savory meals as well like my Moroccan Grilled Chicken With Apricots and Moroccan Grilled Chicken With Apricots. I can’t resist a good sweet & savory combination, and this watermelon salad with feta, mint, cucumber and a simple tangy lemony dressing is exactly that. Before we get into the ingredients and the how to - I do have to say there is nothing Greek about this salad apart from the feta and Kalamata olives - well at least I never grew up eating watermelon like this. My mom always serve it sliced on a platter and feta on the side - no dressing no nothing - just as it is and not as a salad but more of a snack. That being said - this is a great salad version and is quite addictive.
Watermelon Feta Salad Recipe Ingredients:
If you haven’t tried watermelon with a savoury spin like this, I definitely recommend it! It’s so fresh and juicy and perfectly paired with the rest of the savoury, briny and tangy, components in this salad. Here’s is what you will need:
- Shallot or red onion: for mild bite of flavor and crispy texture
- Cucumber, for a cool, crisp addition
- Feta cheese, for a creamy, tangy component. Adds contrasting creaminess and saltiness to the sweet, juicy watermelon.
- Mint & or basil, for fresh herbal notes
- Lemon, gives this watermelon salad some zip and life.
- Watermelon - the star ingredient. Succulent and sweet, an unconventional salad base that is hydrating, low on calories, and contains ample amounts of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant. Inn be like to use seedless in this salad.
Watermelon Feta Salad Recipe Variations
This watermelon feta salad is a great one to play with. It’s so versatile. Here are some of my favorite ways to change it up:
- Want a spicy kick to it? Slice up a chili and add it to the dressing.
- Add a little crunch with a handful of toasted walnuts, cashews, almonds or pine nuts.
- Make this salad a full meal by serving it on a bed of arugula, baby kale or baby spinach with some quinoa or wild rice mixed in.
- Try adding chopped avocado for a creamy component
- Try adding extra fruit to it like chopped kiwi or segmented citrus slices (orange or grapefruit)
- Or change up the fruit and substitute berries, cherries or sliced stone fruit for the watermelon.
- You can use any dressing you like for this salad. A balsamic dressing goes well and so does this super simple one with the lemon or lime juice
Can you make watermelon feta salad ahead of time?
- Make-Ahead. Watermelon salad can be prepared up to 4 hours in advance. Add the feta just before serving.
- To Store. This watermelon feta salad is best enjoyed within a few hours after it is fully dressed and assembled.
How to make watermelon salad:
- Simply chop up all your veggies and fruit and place in a bowl.
- Mix together your dressing/vinaigrette ingredients
- Drizzle over salad and then gently toss.
It’s that simple. Enjoy as a full meal or as a side to all your grilled food this summer! If you like this salad you will also loves these ones:
For the Salad:
- 3 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- ½ cup Kalamata olives (pitted)
- ½ cup feta, crumbled or cubed
For the Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or lime juice)
- 1 teaspoon honey for extra sweetness, optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh mint or basil or combo of both
- 1 small shallot, peeled and sliced fine or minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place watermelon, cucumber, feta and olives in a medium-sized bowl.
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and honey if using. Stir in the shallots and mint and season well with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the salad with dressing and gently toss. Sprinkle with extra fresh mint just before serving if you desire.
- If you would like to add more oil or lemon juice to the salad feel free too - adjust amounts accordingly. That goes for all the ingredients.
- If you prefer basil over mint or any other fresh herb for that matter - feel free to swap the mint out for one you love, or do a combo of flavours.
juicy watermelon salad with crisp cucumber and creamy tangy feta with a lemony mint dressing