Easy Greek Pasta Salad
This is one of my favorite salads to bring to a BBQ or to make if I’m hosting one. It’s a classic and it goes fast cause everyone loves it. It makes for the perfect side but can also be a meal. I love it for lunch – it’s just filling enough with the pasta and you get a lot of veggies in too. You can even add some grilled chicken to to make it an even more complete meal. It’s very simple to put together and the vinaigrette is just so delicious and also quite easy to make. It’s also quite versatile too. You can defining add more or less of each of the veggies or feta and olives according to preference. I know I always use more than the amount shown of feta.
I’m a sucker for any kind of pasta salad but I’m definitely biased towards this one. I messed about with my classic Greek salad recipe and all the ingredient amounts to give you this one which is really a horiatiki with pasta. Tender pasta, ripe juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumbers, crunchy sweet pepper, briny feta cheese and olives, tossed in a Greek dressing, what could be better than that? This is also a perfect make ahead kind of salad. I always have some of this dressing in the fridge. It’s so versatile. The salad keeps well refrigerated for a couple days but I find the tomatoes can get a big mushy so I love chopping all my veggies for it in advance and storing them separate from the sliced tomatoes in a sealable bag. Then when I’m ready to make it all I have to do is cook the pasta and pop all the pre-chopped veggies in and toss it with the dressing. Simple and fabulous!
I used GoGo Quinoa for this recipe and I truly loved the texture and shape of this pasta. I found it held up well and didn’t get too soft even after it had been in the fridge for a day. One thing I love about it was that it has more than one color. It’s made of red and white quinoa and that is reflected in the pasta itself. I use to love making pasta salad with tri colour pasta - my mom use to always use the tri colour for her pasta salad. This sort of reminds me of that pasta and the pasta salads me and mom use to make for family BBQ’s and that’s why I chose this particular shape pasta for this salad. This is so uncomplicated and so very delicious and I really hope it makes it on your table - picnic or regular! Tell me what you think of it!
I have partnered up with GoGo Quinoa to bring you this fabulous recipe, but all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting Olive & Mango.
- 454 grams (1 lb - 2 packs) of GoGo Quinoa Organic Rice, Red & White Quinoa Macaroni
- 1 pint of grape or cherry tomatoes sliced into halves or quarters
- 3 Persian cucumbers, sliced into coins
- 1 green bell pepper seeds and ribs removed, sliced
- ½ medium red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup Kalamata olives
- 8 ounces feta cheese crumbled
For the vinaigrette
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced/ or grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Cook the pasta in a pot of boiling and salted water, drain and rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking process and then set aside to cool while you prep the rest of the salad.
- Prepare the vinaigrette. In a small bowl, whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large serving bowl, toss the pasta with the tomatoes, cucumber, green bell pepper, onion, olives, and feta cheese.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and toss gently to combine.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days.