Classic Greek Lettuce Salad (Maroulosalata)
This is one of my favourite salads. It blends some of my favourite fresh herbs (dill and parsley) and my favourite dressing which is simply made up of lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper to taste. It’s fresh and delicious and I can eat it all day.
I reshot photos to update this post during the Summer and totally forgot about them if you can believe it. What happened was that I had a lot of content that was time sensitive and then this updated post got pushed to the back burner. Finally came across the images on my computer and decided today is the day to post the updated photos and post. Better late than never and also it’s feeling like Summer still, so there, it’s still appropriate to post a very green salad right? I do eat this all year round and never tire of it so I guess it doesn’t really matter when this was posted probably the reason why it kept getting put on that back burner.
Okaaaay back to this salad. It’s called maroulosalata because in Greek lettuce is called μαρούλι or marouli and salata/σαλάτα is salad as you probably already guessed. This is one time when you make a salad that calls for romaine that you do not use your hands to tear it into chunks. The lettuce in this salad is traditionally almost shredded or shaved. That is why the directions below say to slice or chop it very finely or thinly. I love it this way as every tiny slice of it and forkful is perfectly covered in the dressing when it’s tossed.
The salad should be crispy and fresh not soggy when it’s served so make sure to only add the dressing right before serving it. I love it with lots of feta and I can totally eat it as a meal with some bread on the side. I think you will love it too! Enjoy!
- 2 Romaine hearts very finely chopped
- 6 sprigs of green onion chopped finely (green and white parts included)
- A small bunch of dill chopped finely approx ¼ cup
- A small bunch of parsley chopped finely (approx ¼ cup) - optional but I love to add it for more flavour and greens
- 2 very small English cucumbers (or half a large one) sliced down the middle lengthwise and then sliced in pieces
- ¼ cup of crumbled feta
For the dressing
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Cracked black pepper to taste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
Combine all fresh green ingredients in a large salad bowl.
Whisk together all the dressing ingredients and then drizzle over salad and toss well to combine. Adjust the seasoning to taste along with the amount of vinegar/lemon juice.
Top with crumbled feta and serve