How to Make a Simple No Fail Citrus Curd
This is such an easy recipe for making a very smooth and luscious citrus curd that will have you eating it by the spoonful.
How to make a simple citrus curd
Simply whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, yolks, zest, freshly squeezed juice of the citrus of your choice along with the butter over medium heat. It takes a little patience and whisking but that is it. Once it starts to thicken you remove it from the heat, pass it threw a fine sieve and it’s done.
What can I add to my curd to flavour it?
You can easily add a little extra flavour to your curd by adding in some essence or extract and even some bitters. What I love to do is add a little booze to mine. Especially citrus based liqueurs like Limoncello, Grand Marnier or Cointreau. They add a little extra depth to your curd and make it even more special. I would add no more than 2 tablespoons of additional flavourings in the curd in order for it to maintain the perfect texture.
What can I use lemon curd in?
Other than eating it by the spoonful there are plenty of delicious ways to enjoy it. It’s very commonly served with scones, on and in layered cakes, cupcakes, bread, muffins, pancakes, crumpets, waffles, trifles, cream puffs, tarts, and cookies. It’s irresistible and I’m sure you will find plenty of ways to enjoy it.
Makes approx 1-1¼ cups
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ tbsp of cornstarch
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tsp of citrus zest (lemon,lime, grapefruit)
- 6 tbsp of freshly squeezed citrus juice (lemon, lime, grapefruit)
- 3 tbsp of unsalted butter at room temperature
- ½ tsp sea salt
For a boozy spin add
- 1 tbsp tequila
- 1½ tsp triple sec
- In a small sauce pan whisk together the sugar and cornstarch
- Place on medium heat and add your yolks, citrus zest, citrus juice, butter, and salt and whisk continuously until thickened. Do not be tempted to increase the heat. Keep it to medium and just keep whisking. Increasing the heat with scald or cook the yolks and your curd will tasty eggy — so just be patient!
- Once thick strain through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl and stir in the tequila and triple sec if using.
- Press plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd to prevent skin from forming and refrigerate until needed.