No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
These No-bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars are rich and delicious and also vegan, refined sugar free and gluten free. This simple 5-ingredient no-bake bar recipe is quick and easy and only takes minutes to make and makes an easy delicious dessert or snack.
Most no bake peanut butter bar recipes are made with a combination of peanut butter, powdered sugar, butter and graham crackers to make the peanut butter crust. I use almond protein powder and maple syrup instead to make the recipe dairy-free and refined sugar free. I partnered up with Bob’s Red Mill to use their Gluten Free Almond Protein Powder. The almond protein like almond flour, not only helps these bars hold together (the perfect replacement to powdered sugar) but it also adds loads of extra protein to these bars. It’s made with the highest quality blanched almonds, finely ground to a creamy powder that blends perfectly into smoothies, baked goods, sauces, salad dressings and more. It gives you 20 grams of protein per serving, made with 1 simple ingredient. No added flavors, colors or sweeteners and non-GMO Verified, vegan, and gluten free. It’s so easy to add to baked goods and was perfect in these bars.
These bars are made with just 5 simple ingredients, which you may already have on hand in your pantry: You’ll need:
- Peanut Butter
- Almond protein powder (or almond meal/ blanched almond flour)
- Dark chocolate
- Maple Syrup
- Vanilla extract
There are just a handful of ingredients that make up these bars so it is a good idea to use good quality ingredients to make them.
- For the Peanut butter: This is the main ingredient of the recipe both in the base and the topping and you will most likely need a whole jar. You can use any brand you like and any variety as long as it’s natural and refined sugar free. I love to use smooth peanut butter for the creamiest bars. You could even make your own - it’s quite easy
- For the Almond Protein Powder: I love using Bob’s Red Mill Almond Protein powder because it has the perfect powdery fine texture that provides the structure for the bars, and replaces the graham cracker crumbs and powdered sugar for this. You can substitute with Bob’s Red Mill super fine Almond Flour or any nut flour or even oat flour - ratios listed below.
- For the Maple syrup: This is my go too natural and vegan sweetener that helps sweeten these bars and also acts as a binder for the ingredients in these bars. You can substitute with agave syrup or honey but if using honey they will not be vegan.
- For the Dark Chocolate chips: I like to use semi-sweet dark chocolate chips but you can use any kind you like. You can also use your favorite dark chocolate bar chopped into pieces as it is melted in this recipe. If you are using unsweetened dark chocolate make sure to add 1-2 tbsp maple syrup to sweeten to taste. One thing I love about the chocolate topping in these bars is that it has peanut butter in it making this layer a lot easier to slice and bite into without the chocolate layer breaking apart or away from the peanut butter layer.
How to make No bake chocolate peanut butter bars?
You don’t need any special equipment and you don’t even need to bake them. It doesn’t get easier than this no-bake treat! Simply mix together the base-peanut butter layer ingredients. Press the peanut butter layer down firmly into a parchment lined 8x8 inch square brownie pan or you could also use a loaf pan for thicker bars. Melt your chocolate with peanut butter for the topping and then pour it over the peanut butter layer spreading it evenly with a spatula. Then set it in the freezer for 1 hour until the layers are set. Once set, lift them out with the help of the parchment paper and slice them into whatever size chewy decadent chocolate peanut butter squares/bars.
These Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars are the perfect treat for peanut butter lovers! Think peanut butter cups but better for you and thicker layers of both peanut butter and chocolate. They’re made with only 5 ingredients, they’re vegan, flourless and refined sugar free - what more could you ask for in a healthy tasty treat, snack or dessert?!?
I have partnered up with Bob’s Red Mill to bring you this fabulous recipe, but all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting Olive & Mango.
- 1 cup natural peanut butter (I used smooth but you can use crunchy too)
- ¼ cup maple syrup or agave
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Almond Protein Powder*
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (dairy free or regular)
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- Flaky sea salt for sprinkling (optional)
- In a medium bowl, mix together peanut butter, vanilla, and maple syrup until incorporated then add the almond protein powder and continue mixing well combined.
- Press mixture into an 8×8 inch pan or baking dish lined with parchment paper paper for easy removal
- Place peanut butter and chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl and microwave at 30 second increments until chips are melted. Stir to fully combine. (You can also do this stovetop in a small pot over low heat)
- Pour over base and smooth over evenly.
- Place in freezer 1 hour until set, then slice and serve sprinkled with a little flaky sea salt.
- Store remaining pieces in a sealed container in the fridge or freezer.
- If you don’t have the almond protein powder you can use regular almond or other ground nut flour or substitute it with 3/4 cup of oat flour or ground oats
- If you are using unsweetened chocolate chips make sure to add a couple of tablespoons of maple syrup to the topping mixture to sweeten according to taste.
- Store the remaining peanut butter bars in an airtight container. They will last up to 7 days in the fridge or in the freezer for 3 months.
- These bars can easily be made with any natural nut or seed butter.
Inspired by Ambitious Kitchen