Watermelon Slushy Cocktails
Who doesn’t love the sweetness of watermelon? It’s the perfect fruit to cool you down and it’s one thing that I always crave. It’s so sweet naturally and tastes like dessert on its own — at least the variety grown here is that sweet. Whether in a salad or on its own, it really can’t be beaten when it comes to how refreshing it is.
You can add this cocktail to your favourite drinks list because it is refreshing and delicious all wrapped in one. Did I mention it’s also super simple too? If you don’t drink alcohol it’s still a great way to cool down, just omit the alcohol and leave it as is to also make it kid friendly. If I’m making virgin ones along with the cocktails I will blend the watermelon cubes first with a little water and lime juice to loosen the ice up a bit, pour the virgin ones and then add the alcohol accordingly and re-blend.
You technically do not have to strain the watermelon to separate the pulp from the juice but I find that the pulp makes it texturally taste like a smoothie rather than a slushy. If it makes no difference to you then you most definitely can skip this step and just pour the watermelon juice pulp and all straight into ice cube trays after blending.
Not a fan of Triple Sec — that is OK. Feel free to sub in white wine or even some prosecco. I like the Triple Sec because it brings a hint of citrus to it — very subtle and goes well with the lime and watermelon too! Feel free to experiment with what you add. These slushies are super fun to make and a real hit when served at a BBQ or outdoor event! We loved them and they will be on repeat all year long over here because every day is like summer in Trinidad!
Makes approx 4 medium sized slushies
- 1 Medium sized ripe and sweet watermelon seeded, removed from rind and cut up into chunks (or a quarter of a large one)
- ½-1 cup water plus more if needed to thin out mixture (p.s my blender is a weakling so its needs a little extra moisture to blend)
- Juice of two limes
- 4oz vodka (approx 1oz per drink)
- 3oz Triple Sec
- Extra watermelon slices and lime wedges for garnish
- Blend your watermelon chunks with water and then strain to remove most if not all the pulp
- Pour the liquid remaining into ice cube trays and freeze, should fill approx two trays if not more, and freeze for at least 4 hours or until frozen solid
- When ready to make drinks place the watermelon cubes in the blender, pour in the vodka, Triple Sec and the lime juice and blend adding a little more water or vodka if required to thin it out to desired texture
- Pour into glasses and garnish with watermelon slices and lime wedges and enjoy.