Grilled Chicken Thighs
This grilled chicken thigh recipe is one of our grilling staples that we make all year round. We love how quick and easy they are to make, full of flavor, super juicy and tender. We always make a double batch for meal prep cause they literally pair with just about any sauce or side dish! They are well seasoned and require no marination time. The spice blend is sort of one that I blended resembling the spice blend of classic shake and bake except this time we are grilling the chicken not baking it and no bread crumbs in this spice blend. A nostalgic combo of spices resulting in a great bbq chicken.
Grilled Chicken Thighs Ingredients
- Chicken: I used boneless skinless chicken thighs but feel free to use skin on and bone in as well as any other cut of chicken you prefer. Cooking times may vary depending on size and thickness just ensure that chicken is cooked through with internal temperature of chicken reaching 165°F.
- Olive Oil: just a little to help distribute the spice blend as well as help prevent the chicken thighs from sticking to the grill
- Brown sugar: for sweetness and carmalization
- Spices: this blend of spices create a delicious dry rub for the chicken which include: paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, dried basil, and dried parsley. Feel free to adjust amounts according to taste
- Salt and Pepper: to taste as always
- Extra Flavour Add Ins: soy sauce, W sauce, dijon mustard, cider vinegar, and even molasses, thyme, rosemary, celery salt, or chili powder for some heat etc
How to Make Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Prepare Chicken: trim off any excess fat if needed
- Blend Spices: combine all the spices together
- Toss Chicken With Spices: along with the olive oil which helps distribute the rub all over the chicken
- Grill Chicken: grill 5-7 min on one side then flip and continue grilling until chicken is cooked through then remove from grill and allow to rest a couple of minutes before serving
What If I Don’t Have a Grill?
No grill no problem. Use a grill pan and cook as stated in recipe below or pan fry in a skillet over medium heat. Add chicken to skillet and cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until you can easily flip over the chicken. Flip and cook for 6 to 7 more minutes or until cooked through.
How To Store, Freeze and Make Ahead Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
- Freezing: Transfer completely cooled chicken thighs to an airtight container OR freezer bags. Label the bag or container with name and date, and place it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat stovetop or in the microwave.
- Make Ahead: Chicken thighs can be seasoned with the spices and tossed with the olive oil and can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge to marinate for 4 hours or up to overnight.
More Chicken Recipes You Will Love
- Greek Grilled Chicken Breast
- Greek Style Grilled Chicken Wings
- Garlic Butter Chicken Bites
- Honey Mustard Chicken Salad
- Baked BBQ Chicken
- Greek style Chicken Souvlaki
These Grilled Chicken Thighs Would be Great With:
- 2-2½ lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½-1 tablespoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1½ teaspoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
Serve & Garnish With (0ptional)
- Chopped fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro
- Lemons or limes for a squeeze of lemon juice or lime juice
- Add chicken thighs to a large bowl or large plastic resealable bag. Combine spices - brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, black pepper, oregano, basil and parsley in a smaller bowl or toss them right onto the chicken along with the olive oil and toss chicken thighs until well coated. Cover or store in sealed bag and set aside for 15 min while the grill preheats or to up to 4 hours or overnight refrigerated.
- Preheat the grill to high heat (or grill pan)
- Grease grill grates and add the chicken. Reduce heat to medium high
- Cook 5-7 mins undisturbed until charred. Flip the chicken over and continue cooking until chicken is cooked through and reaches 165°F measured with meat thermometer.
- Remove chicken from grill, loosely cover with foil and allow chicken to rest 5 minutes before serving.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
- Reheat on the grill, stove top or in the microwave until heated through.
- Be sure internal temperature of chicken thighs reach 165°F.