Lemon Butter Chicken
Skillet lemon butter chicken is one of my favourite chicken recipes. It’s similar to my Easy Chicken Piccata recipe but instead of a lemony wine sauce this chicken is in a lemon butter sauce. This lemon chicken recipe is easy, tasty and full of lemon flavor. It is definitely a keeper and one that everyone will love. This chicken is so easy to make and comes together in no time, making it the perfect dish to serve any day of the week. Its all made in one skillet stove top - quick easy and no need to bake or finish off the dish in the oven. This is a lighter version without any heavy cream but is still loaded with creamy goodness thanks to the lemon butter cream sauce. This recipe works with whole chicken breast cut in half through their thickness or the chicken is pounded thin for quick cooking and the lemon butter sauce only takes minutes to come together.
Lemon Butter Chicken Recipe Ingredients
Since there are only a few ingredients to this recipe, you want to make sure that you do not skip or skimp on any of them. All of the ingredients come together to balance each other out and make the most delicious sauce. Here is a list of the ingrdients- (full measurements in recipe below):
- Boneless Chicken Breast - you could use 4 small breasts that have been pounded to ⅓ inch thin or 2-3 medium or large boneless skinless chicken breasts that are cut through their thickness to butterfly them to create 4 or 6 pieces. Boneless skinless or skin on chicken thighs will work as well or even chicken tenders - which will cook even faster.
- Flour - this is for dredging the chicken in. This sort of adds a seal or barrier so that the chicken cooks up golden and crisp, plus it also adds to the richness of the sauce as well
- Lemon - freshly squeezed lemon juice and zest is always best for this recipe
- Butter & Olive oil - I use unsalted butter so I can control the amount of salt going into the dish
- Chicken stock - this helps deglaze the pan. You could use stock or broth, vegatable or chicken or you can use a nice white wine to deglaze the pan so you end up with a lemon butter wine sauce.
- Garlic - garlic is optional and not necessary to add for a delicious lemon butter sauce but I love the extra flavour it adds to the lemon butter sauce
- Seasoning - Lemon pepper seasoning or Italian seasoning, or thyme and oregano. a simple blend of salt pepper and pinch of smoked paprika works also.
- Fresh Italian parsley and lemon slices for garnish (optional)
- Extra add ins - Parmesan cheese is a really tasty way to add even more flavour. A pinch of chili flakes added to the sauce with the garlic gives this sauce a little kick.
What to serve with Lemon Butter Chicken?
One of my go-to side dishes for chicken like so is steamed or roasted asparagus or broccoli, then I also like to serve it with buttery lemon orzo or rice. Cauliflower rice would also be a good healthier alternative to the orzo or roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes or salad. here are a few of my favourites:
- Easy No Fail Melting Potatoes
- Greek Roasted Lemon Potatoes (lemonates patates)
- Simple Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Burst Cherry Tomato Pasta
- Greek Asparagus Salad
- Greek Style Green Bean Salad
More chicken recipes you will love:
- 2-3 medium size chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise or 4 small ones pounded thinly
- Lemon pepper seasoning (optional - use your favourite seasoning mixture or just a pinch of salt, pepper and smoked paprika)
- ¼ cup Flour for dredging
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 lemon sliced
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice + zest of ½ lemon
- Fresh parsley chopped, to taste (optional)
- Season chicken with lemon pepper seasoning or seasoning of choice
- Dip the chicken into flour to coat both sides
- Heat a large sauté pan or skillet over medium heat to medium-high heat with the olive oil
- Add chicken to pan or skillet and sear and cook until golden brown on bottom, then flip and continue to cook until chicken registers 165°F in center, approx 4-5 minutes per side. If chicken browns too quickly, lower the heat. Adjust timing depending on the thickness. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside. (You may have to brown them in batches depending on size of your pan.)
- Add two tablespoons butter to pan allow them to melt, then add the lemon slices and garlic - cook for 30 seconds
- Pour stock into pan and scape bottom of pan to release any golden bits from the bottom of the pan
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest and remaining butter and bring to a simmer
- Place chicken back in pan and cook basting until warmed through - just another minute or two.
- Serve chicken with pan juices/lemon butter sauce, extra lemon wedges and fresh chopped parsley (serve with rice, orzo, pasta, veggies like asparagus or green beans, roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes or salad)